Located adjacent to the surgical ward, the midwifery ward boasts three fully contained birthing suites where mothers are admitted and usually remain for the duration of their stay.
Antenatal classes and a booking-in program are offered to expectant women and their partners to assist in the preparation for delivery.
General practitioner obstetricians work closely with our midwives, supported by a specialist obstetrician.
Benalla Health is proudly “Baby Friendly” accredited and as such supports the World Health Organisation and UNICEF International Guidelines. Other features of the service are:
- Choice in model of care
- Skilled caring midwives
- Antenatal clinic where no fees apply
- Domiciliary service
- Breast feeding support service staff by lactation consultant
- Antenatal classes
- Well equipped birthing suites
- Beautifully furnished accommodation
- Relaxed supportive working relationships with GP obstetricians and midwives
- Strong relationships with with Maternal and Child Health Service
- Labour in water available
- Vaginal birth after caesarean section available in consultation with medical staff
- Capacity for caesarean section if required
Visiting hours are relaxed, however visitors are requested to observe the 1pm to 3pm rest period.