To discover how an individual may benefit from this type of therapy an Occupational Therapist must first explore what "Occupations" a person is involved in.
Occupation is commonly thought of as paid employment. However occupations actually
refer to th e everyday activities that people do as individuals, families and with communities to occupy their time and bring meaning and purpose to life.
Occupations include activities that people need to do, want to do, or are expected to do.
Occupations include activities such as:
- Accessing the supermarket
- Writing a letter
- Playing sport
What is occupational therapy?
The primary goal of occupational therapy is to enable people to participate in activities of daily life, otherwise known as occupations. Occupational Therapists promote health and well being by working with people and communities to modify tasks or environments to provide people with the opportunity to engage in the occupations, or daily activities that they want or need to be able to do.
Some examples of Occupational Therapy includes:
- Making a shower safe by installing grab rails for a person that has experiences a fall
- Assessing and training a person to use a scooter to access their community.
- Retraining an individual that has had a stroke to use their arm and hand in order to be able to write.
- Teaching a child with a disability to throw a ball
- Helping a person that has been injured return to paid employment.
Occupational Therapy at Benalla Health
The Occupational Therapy program at Benalla Health offers a wide range of services, including, but not limited to:
- Falls prevention and hazard identification
- Assessment for provision of aids and equipment
- Home assessments
- Pressure care assessment and management
- Cognitive Assessment
- Upper Limb Assessment and retraining
- Personal Alarm applications
- Wheelchair and seating assessments
- Scooter and electric wheelchair assessments and training
- Education on energy conservation
If you would like to book an appointment, or enquire if seeing an Occupational Therapist could assist you, please call Benalla Community Health on 03 5761 4500