What is a “Credentialled Diabetes Educator”?
A Credentialled Diabetes Educator (CDE) is an experienced health professional, such as a registered nurse or an accredited practicing dietitian, who has completed a university course in diabetes education and management.
The CDE works with people living with diabetes (and their family and carers) or those who are at risk of developing diabetes with the latest skills, knowledge and support to help them manage their condition.
People can see the CDE in one to one sessions. Appointments are also available to see the CDE and dietitian together.
What is diabetes management?
- Learning about the different types of diabetes.
- How to manage type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes.
- The importance of eating a healthy diet.
- The benefits of being active.
- Understanding blood glucose monitoring.
- What to do about high and low blood glucose levels.
- How diabetes medications work.
- How to manage diabetes when unwell.
- Staying well and reducing the risks of long term diabetes complications.
Narelle Harvey CDE
Benalla Community Health: