Diabetes Information and Support Group
The Benalla Diabetes Support and Information Group provides people living with diabetes, along with their family and carers, an opportunity to meet together in a supportive environment.
It is also welcomes those who are at risk of developing diabetes.
The sessions are interactive, engaging and light hearted and participants are provided with ideas and strategies for better diabetes self management and more effective care.
The Benalla Community Health Credentialled Diabetes Educator (CDE) and dietitian coordinate and conduct the seasonal group sessions and occasionally guest speakers are invited to speak to the group.
Regular members of the group have provided comments about the benefits of the group. Their comments include:
- I was shocked when I was diagnosed with diabetes. It is great to mix with other people in the same boat.
- It is reassuring to know that I’m not on my own
- The information provided is varied and we always get handouts to take home
- It’s great to share my situation with others.
- I like hearing about the latest trends in medications.
- I find learning about food changes interesting. Some foods that were once considered ‘bad’ are now ‘good’.
- The group is incredibly empowering for me.
- The group has had a huge input into my treatment.
- The group is so good that people come back from holidays so they don’t miss out.
Benalla Support Group
Venue: Benalla Community Health
Time: 11am to 2pm
Cost: $12 to cover a two-course lunch provided by Benalla Health.
Participants are asked to phone Benalla Community Health reception to register their attendance on the Thursday prior to the Diabetes Group Session for catering purposes.
Contact: Narelle Harvey CDE
Benalla Community Health
Ph: (03) 5761 4500
Fax: (03) 5761 4502