Benalla Health Inclusive Practice
At Benalla Health, we embrace diversity and are dedicated to inclusivity in healthcare. Our commitment extends to people of all backgrounds, beliefs, abilities, genders, sexualities, and ages. We strive to create a safe, welcoming, and affirming environment for everyone.
- We continually improve our practices to ensure non-discriminatory and safe service delivery.
- We respect and seek to understand the diverse lived experiences of LGBTQIA+* people.
- We apply an LGBTQIA+ lens to promote cultural safety and inclusivity in all aspects of our healthcare.
Your Healthcare Rights
As a patient at Benalla Health, you have the right to:
- Access healthcare services that meet your needs.
- Receive safe, high-quality care.
- Be treated with respect, dignity, and cultural sensitivity.
- Be involved in open communication and decision-making.
- Receive clear and timely information about your care.
- Have your privacy and information kept confidential.
- Provide feedback and make complaints without fear of reprisal.
LGBTQIA+ Cultural Safety and Inclusive Practices
Our staff at Benalla Health will:
- Respect your sexual orientation, gender identity, and intersex variation.
- Use your pronouns and preferred names.
- With your consent refer you to LGBTQIA+ friendly services.
- Address your unique needs, avoiding assumptions.
- Keep your details confidential.
- Only inquire about relevant aspects of your medical history with your consent.
- Seek your permission before sharing your personal information.
- Speak out against discrimination and intervene if you face unfair treatment.
You can trust that you are safe to disclose your sexual orientation, gender identity, or intersex status if you wish, but your decision will always be respected and valued.
* LGBTQIA+ refers to lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and gender diverse, queer, intersex, and asexual individuals, with the ‘+’ acknowledging the acronym doesn’t include the entire range of sex, sexuality and gender diversity within the community.