Diabetes Care Centre
Benalla Health has recently been approved as a Diabetes Care Centre by the National Association of Diabetes Centres (NADC). This approval by NADC recognised the high quality work and standard of care that Benalla Community Health provide to people with diabetes within Benalla and its surrounding areas.
The National Association of Diabetes Centres is a national group of Australian Diabetes Centres that provide the highest standard of care to people with diabetes through their Member Centres.
The Benalla Health Diabetes Care Centre is the link between your doctor or specialist and the hospital. We work closely with your doctor, endocrinologist/physician and other important people, to give you the best possible chance of maintaining great health and avoid complications developing.
We can help you with:
- Managing diabetes (and support when you are struggling)
- Diabetes general information
- Starting insulin
- Joining a diabetes support group
- A blister/cut or wound on your foot that has not healed within two weeks
- Physical activity and healthy eating to improve your diabetes
- Dietary information and support
- Medication information and how to take them correctly
- Feeling sad or stressed by diabetes
It doesn’t matter if you are newly diagnosed or have had diabetes for a long time we are here to help support you and your family and carer throughout the diabetes journey.
For an appointment, phone (03) 5761 4500.
What is a “Credentialled Diabetes Educator”?
A Credentialled Diabetes Educator (CDE) is an experienced health professional, such as a registered nurse or an accredited practicing dietitian, who has completed a university course in diabetes education and management.
- Learning about the different types of diabetes.
- How to manage type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes.
- The importance of eating a healthy diet.
- The benefits of being active.
- Understanding blood glucose monitoring.
- What to do about high and low blood glucose levels.
- How diabetes medications work.
- How to manage diabetes when unwell.
- Staying well and reducing the risks of long term diabetes complications.
Benalla Health is committed to providing excellent care for people with diabetes or those at risk of developing diabetes in Benalla and surrounding communities.
Diabetes education is a crucial part of any Diabetes Management Plan. Credentialled diabetes educators or CDEs support medical practitioners to manage people with Type 1, Type 2 or Gestational Diabetes by providing education on how best to manage diabetes and promote self management of their condition